ConnectALL supports syncing data to/from Micro Focus ALM / QC 11 and above. You can choose the option "Micro Focus ALM" as depicted in the below image to begin with the further configurations.
Supported Entity Types
Test Set Folder
Test Case Folder
Application Link Configuration
Configuration of Application Server
In order to create the application for the ALM/QC Application server, you will need the below details in the configuration screen.
- URL (make sure not to add qcbin at the end of the URL)
- Username / Client ID
- Password / Client Secret
- Authentication Type
ConnectALL supports OAuth Authentication for ALM14. Choose Authentication Type as OAuth and provide the Client ID and Client Secret input.
The following entity types are supported for syncing by ALM/QC 11 adapter of ConnectALL
- Test Cases
- Test Instances
- Test Set
Advanced Options in Entity Mapping gives you the flexibility to configure and define the sync requirements using Poll Queries, and Attachment URL Markup options.
Refer to Flow Filter document here to understand the poll query format supported by ALM adapter of ConnectALL.
During the field mapping you can see that the field name is followed by the internal name of the field in
(paranthesis); when writing the poll queries we will be using the internal names of the fields, so this helps you find these names easily.
If you are mapping MicroFocus ALM with Tricentis Tosca, starting from version 2.10.24, you could map ALM’s Test Folder to Tosca’s TestCase Folder and sync the test steps under them.
When mapping the LinkTypes field ( i.e _issueLinkTypes) of Jira with the _Constant field of MicroFocus ALM QC, you could have the values of linked issues (_issueLinkTypes) such as ‘Blocks’ and map it with _Constant.
To achieve this when you are mapping Jira and MicroFocus ALM, create two app-links between Jira and MicroFocus ALM. Let one link be the parent link and the other one a child.
The parent link is for syncing Requirements (i.e) You could map the issue types story (Jira) and Requirements (QC).
(_constant )Jira —> Requirement (QC)
The child app-link is for syncing ‘Defects’ (i.e) you could map the fields LinkTypes (Jira) and _Constant (QC) where the value of the LinkTypes, ‘Blocks’ is mapped with _Constant)
value Mapping: ‘Blocks’( LinkTypes) with ( _Constant).
Once you’ve done the above mapping,
- Create a record in the parent applink (either in QC or in Jira), and trigger sync. The record will be synced to the destination
- Create a new defect in the child app-link, and sync the child app-link.
- Link the defect to the requirement in the first step.
- Sync the parent app-link.
- When you do so, defects will appear under the ‘blocks’ in Jira.
Special Field synchronization
Mapping User fields like "Detected By", "Owner" needs a value mapping to be defined. ConnectALL allows you to Import and Export the definitions to these user fields to increase the ease of use and maintain consistency when mapping multiple user fields.
For Value Mapping the user fields by importing/exporting a user list, you have to use a CSV file. (CSV template for importing user list)
ALM stores all the comments in HTML format, and makes it next to impossible to identify where the comment body is starting and ending. Due to this reason, ConnectALL parses the comments of this field with the following assumptions, based on the default colors, fonts, and separators added by ALM when clicking on Add Comment button.
Since ConnectALL uses the comment body to identify the newly added comments; the same body might not be synced to the destination.
- Each comment is separated by a separator which is 40 underscore characters
- The comment author and date are in Arial font with size of 8pt and blue (#000080) in color
- The comment author format is one of the following, where first name and last name are words with no spaces.
- firstname lastname <username>
- firstname, lastname <username>
- The date format after the author is MM/dd/yyyy
- Over the period of time, we have seen many customers whose author name and date formats will not fall under the assumptions described above. We have enabled these users to configure them so that the comments can be parsed properly.
If you want accented characters to be supported in comments and attachments, please enable the unicode character property in the configuration section of the particular project in the ALM application.
Configuring different date format: If you are using any other format other than "MM/dd/yyyy" in your comments, then you can configure the date format used in the Advanced Configuration of the Entity Mapping tab in the ConnectALL application link as shown below.
Configuring different author format: If you are having any other author format other than the ones listed above, then you can configure the author name format in the ConnectAll.properties file under $MULE_HOME/conf directory
As the configuration of this property impacts the comment parsing logic in total, please raise a request in our Support Portal with the requirements for customizing the pattern for your needs.
If by any chance the comment is not parsed properly even after the above configurations, ConnectALL will simply split the comments based on the separator (40 underscores) as defined above. It will then add the whole comment along with author information, date and comment as the comment body to the destination application.
Any comments that are edited either in ALM or in the destination application will be created as new comments in the destination. This is the default behavior across all adapters in ConnectALL. ConnectALL provides a solution for this editing problem since version 2.1 with the help of a new algorithm called Update Parsing logic.
When using update parsing logic, ConnectALL generates a Comment ID for each comment added in ALM and then adds it to the existing comment. This will help ConnectALL to identify the edited records and sync them appropriately without adding any new comments in either the source or destination.
Note: For now, Update Parsing is only enabled for the Application links between Jira 5+ and ALM 11+
Steps to Configure
Impact of Update Parsing Logic on ALM
- In order to map the comments, the generated comment ID will be synced back to the ALM. This results in an update of the ALM record. (only when there is a new comment added in ALM.)
- A comment id string is added in the comment body. (It's added in a separate line after the comment body. A user will notice some additional white space because of this.)
- Since the comments are syncronized based on the newly added comment id, the comments with the same body can be synced to the destination.
- If the comment is not parsed correctly by ConnectALL, then the actual comment is overridden with the comment by the author as the Sync User, and the actual comment as comment body.
- The comments with special formatting like tables, bold, italic text will be replicated to and from Jira, but you might also see some inconsistencies in their formatting.
- Deleted comments will not be added back by ConnectALL.
- When editing a comment, the text added after the Comment ID will be ignored by ConnectALL.
- Any update to the added comment id or formatting will add the comment back again to Jira.
Syncing Design Steps of a Test Case
Sync Custom Fields of Test Steps
|Data structure Column||ALM Design Steps Column|
|Step Info||Step Name|
qc.teststep.stepinfo.mapping=AppLink1:user-03,AppLink2:user-02 qc.teststep.stepdata.mapping=AppLink1:user-09,AppLink2:user-07 qc.teststep.stepresult.mapping=AppLink1:expected
ALM/AC design steps can be syncronized to Jira (Zephyr), Testtrack (Seapine), TFS, VSTS and ServiceNow applications only.
The MicroFocus ALM QC adapter supports 'Attachment Deletion'. For more information click here. The attachments can be synchronized just by mapping the Attachment field in the field mapping.
However, to sync attachments that has non-english characters in the filename, the following configuration has to be made in field configuration.
Click on the field configuration icon against the Attachment field and choose the Stream Option as "FormData". This will ensure non-english character filenames are synced successfully from and to QC.
This field configuration is not mandatory. If not selected, then the default value of Stream will be picked up.
ALM/QC doesn't extend support for creation/update of test configurations.
Automatic User Value Mapping
ConnectALL supports Automatic user value mapping for Micro Focus/ALM QC. Below is a screenshot that illustrates this; where
For more information on automatic user value mapping and to find out how it works, click here.
Advanced Connection Properties
ConnectALL uses a default timeout of 60 seconds, when connecting to ALM. You can configure the same on a connection level using the Connection Advanced Properties screen starting with version 126.96.36.199.
Steps to Configure
Click Connections from the top navigation bar. The Manage Connections screen will be displayed.
Click the cogwheel icon to edit the existing connection. The Connection Advanced Properties screen will be displayed.
Add the Property Key (API_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT, API_READ_TIMEOUT) and a Property Value as shown below. In the below image, the value for API_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT is set as 70000 ms and API_READ_TIMEOUT is set as 140000 ms. Note that the default value for the properties API_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT and API_READ_TIMEOUT is 60000 ms and 120000 ms respectively. If required, you can increase it to the desired value.
- Click Save Properties.
Time Difference Configuration
To know how to calculate the time difference, and configure it in the ConnectALL UI, Read the topic Time Difference Configuration.