Record ID Translation
When using applications such as Jira, ServiceNow, Tricentis Tosca, or Microfocus ALM, you would have worked with entities. And in each of these applications, when a record is created for any entity, a record ID is created for that record. In scenarios where you create multiple app-links to link different entities of two applications, ConnectALL enables you to translate the record IDs of the records in one particular app-link through another app-link (that uses the same app URL) to the destination application. (i.e) You will be able to translate the ‘Record ID’ of an app-record used in app-link (app-link A), through another app-link (app-link B). Note that, the app-links should belong to the same URL. ConnectALL achieves this by reading the record IDs used in the other app-links (of the same app URL) and translating them to the destination. To make ConnectALL read the record IDs from another app-link, you are required to enable the option – ‘Translate Record ID’ in the ‘Field Configuration' screen. Let’s see how it is done.
Enabling Record ID Translation
- Create a new app-link from the ConnectALL home page.
- Click the Field Mapping tab.
- Under the Field Mapping tab, click the cogwheel icon against a mapped row. The Field Configuration screen will be displayed.
- Click to select the ‘Enable’ check box against the Translate record id field. The Application Links field displays the app-links that you can select to read the record IDs from.
- Select the desired app-link from the ‘Source’ or the ‘Destination’ application. The below image illustrates this.
Note: Enabling this option is and selecting an app-link from where you want to read the record IDs can be done either in the ‘Source’ or/and in the ‘Destination’ application. And record IDs will be translated based on the selection.
Let’s see how Record ID translation is done in some common integrations.
Tosca and ALM
When you are creating multiple app-links to link different entities of Microfocus ALM and Tricentis Tosca, It is possible to translate the ‘Record ID’ of records linked in one particular app-link, through another app-link.
For example, lets say you have three app-links:
- Applink A – Execution list (Tosca) and Test Set (MicroFocus ALM)
- Applink B – TestCase (Tosca) and TestCase (MicroFocus ALM)
- Applink C – Execution Entry (Tosca) and Test Instance (MicroFocus ALM)
In the above scenario, it is possible to translate the record IDs of App-link (A) and App-link (B), through the third App-link — (C). The below table illustrates this.
|App-Links||Tosca Records||MicroFocus ALM Records||Remarks|
Execution List (Tosca) <-> Test Set (ALM) (App-link 'A')
ID = 501
ID = 4441
Test Case (Tosca) <-> Test Case (ALM) (App-link 'B')
ID = 502
ID = 4442
Execution Entry (Tosca) <-> Test Instance (ALM) (App-Link 'C')
ID = 503
Test Case = 502
Execution List = 501
ID = 4443
Enable the 'Translate Record ID' option for field mapping in this row.
In the above scenario, in the app-link, click the cogwheel icon against the Test Case ↔ Test ID and Execution List ↔ CycleId field mapping rows.
Enable the ‘Translate record ID’ option against the Translate Record ID field on both sides. When you do that and select,
- App-link B under Test Case (in the row Test Case ↔ Test ID) — Whenever a record is created, the record ID 'Test ID=4442' will get translated to '502 (Test Case)' and will be synced to Tosca.
- App-link A under Execution List (in the row Execution List ↔ CycleId) — Whenever a record is created, the ID 'Cycle ID= 4441 will get translated to '501 (Execution List)' and will get synced to Tosca.
Atlassian Jira and ServiceNow
In the case of Jira and ServiceNow, you would have noticed that Jira has Summary, Description fields, and ServiceNow also has Summary and Description fields. When you are creating multiple app-links to link the above entities of Jira and ServiceNow, It is possible to translate the ‘Record ID’ of a particular field linked through a particular app-link/app-links, through a different app-link.
For example, let’s say you have two app-links:
- App-link 'A' between Jira’s bug and ServiceNow’s issue, linking the following fields:
- Summary (Jira) <-> Description (ServiceNow).
- Description (Jira) <-> Description (ServiceNow).
Once you have created the app-link linking the fields as described above, create a record from Jira and sync it to ServiceNow. When the record syncs successfully, a sys_id in ServiceNow will be created. Let’s call that ‘X’.
- App-link 'B' linking the following fields:
- Summary (Jira) <-> Short Description (ServiceNow)
- Description (Jira) <-> Description (ServiceNow)
- CA External ID ↔ Correlation ID
Now, we are going to enable the record ID translation in app-link B, through the 3rd field Mapping row between Ca_External ID and Correlation ID, and select app-link 'A' in the Application Links field drop-down list. The below image illustrates that.
Now, as you have selected the app-link A, the record ID 'X' that got generated for the record in app-link 'A’ will be synced to the destination field (Correlation ID) of ServiceNow in this app-link.